Eugenio is a clinical neurologist from Switzerland interested in using advanced neuroimaging techniques to better understand, diagnose and treat epilepsies. After obtaining his medical diploma and doctorate from the University of Zurich, he was a resident at the Departments of Neurology of the Kantonsspital St. Gallen and the University Hospital Bern, where he also trained in neuroimaging at the Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology. His research so far has been concerned with understanding the neural predictors of recovery after ischemic stroke, and the analysis of EEG and neuroimaging data in patients with intractable epilepsies. At the Richardson Lab, he is currently setting up a project to investigate thalamo-cortical connections in generalised epilepsies, and to test their value as diagnostic biomarkers. For this project, he has been awarded a Marie-Curie International Fellowship.
Previous Postdoctoral Experience:
Clinical Research Fellow (2012-2014) University Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, University Hospital and University of Bern, Switzerland.
- EEG-fMRI studies to characterize functional networks before and after epilepsy surgery.
- Development of multimodal neuroimaging fusion algorithms to localize intracranial EEG electrodes.
- Validation of novel spin-locking MRI sequence to detect interictal epileptiform discharges.
Clinical Research Assistant (2008-2011) Department of Neurology, Kantonsspital St. Gallen, and University Institute for Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, University Hospital and University of Bern, Switzerland.
- Longitudinal study to investigate sensorimotor network reorganisation after stroke using functional and structural MRI.
- Medical Diploma (2004, University of Zurich)
- Medical Doctorate (2008, University of Zurich)
- Certificate in electroencephalography (2015, Swiss Society for Neurophysiology)
- Clinical neurology with emphasis in epilepsy and stroke, and clinical electroencephalography (EEG).
- EEG data recording, preprocessing and analysis
- Neuroimaging data acquisition, preprocessing and analysis (both structural and functional), particularly resting-state fMRI and voxel-based lesion-symptom mapping
- Scientific computing and statistics with MATLAB and R
- Clinical Neurology, Epilepsy, Neuroimaging
- Claus Kiefer*, Eugenio Abela*, Kaspar Schindler, Roland Wiest. MR-imaging of non-hemodynamic effects in focal epilepsies using a phase-cycled stimulus-induced rotary saturation approach with spin-lock preparation (pc-SIRS). Radiology 01/2016; 280(1). DOI:10.1148/radiol.2016150368
- Christian Rummel*, Eugenio Abela*, Ralph, Andrzejak, Martinus Hauf, Claudio Pollo, Markus Müller, Christian Weisstanner, Roland Wiest, Kaspar Schindler: Resected Brain Tissue, Seizure Onset Zone and Quantitative EEG Measures: Towards Prediction of Post-Surgical Seizure Control. PLoS ONE 10/2015; 10(10):e0141023. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0141023
- Eugenio Abela, John H. Missimer, Andrea Federspiel, Andrea Seiler, Christian Walter Hess, Matthias Sturzenegger, Roland Wiest, Bruno J. Weder: A thalamic-fronto-parietal structural covariance network emerging in the course of recovery from hand paresis after ischemic stroke. Frontiers in Neurology 10/2015; 6:211.
- Roland Wiest*, Eugenio Abela*, John Missimer, Gerhard Schroth, Christian W Hess, Matthias Sturzenegger, Danny J J Wang, Bruno Weder, Andrea Federspiel: Interhemispheric Cerebral Blood Flow Balance during Recovery of Motor Hand Function after Ischemic Stroke-A Longitudinal MRI Study Using Arterial Spin Labeling Perfusion. PLoS ONE 09/2014; 9(9):e106327. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0106327
- Eugenio Abela*, Andrea Seiler*, John H. Missimer, Andrea Federspiel, Christian W. Hess, Matthias Sturzenegger, Bruno J. Weder, Roland Wiest: Grey matter volumetric changes related to recovery from hand paresis after cortical sensorimotor stroke. Brain Structure and Function 06/2014; DOI:10.1007/s00429-014-0804-y
- Eugenio Abela, John Missimer, Roland Wiest, Andrea Federspiel, Christian Hess, Matthias Sturzenegger, Bruno Weder: Lesions to Primary Sensory and Posterior Parietal Cortices Impair Recovery from Hand Paresis after Stroke. PLoS ONE 02/2012; 7(2):e31275. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0031275
- Christian Rummel*, Eugenio Abela*, Markus Müller, Martinus Hauf, Olivier Scheidegger, Roland Wiest, Kaspar Schindler: Uniform approach to linear and nonlinear interrelation patterns in multivariate time series. Physical Review E 06/2011; 83(6 Pt 2):066215. DOI:10.1103/PhysRevE.83.066215