Pedro is a 5th year Neurology resident and a PhD student visiting from Lisbon, Portugal. He obtained his medical master’s degree from the Lisbon Faculty of Medical Sciences, and has been training in clinical Neurology at the Department of Neurosciences and Mental Health in Santa Maria Hospital. In 2016, he also joined the Neuroscience PhD Programme from the University of Lisbon. While his clinical work has focused on Epileptology and Clinical Neurophysiology, his current research interests involve identifying quantitative EEG (qEEG) prognostic markers in epilepsy patients.
He has been a research visitor at the Richardson Lab and a clinical fellow at the neurophysiology department of King’s College Hospital since July 2017. At Richardson’s Lab, he is developing a project to investigate qEEG correlates of neuropsychological outcome in temporal lobe epilepsy.
- 5 years of Clinical Neurology (Santa Maria Hospital)
- Clinical and Research collaborations at the Sleep/EEG Laboratory of Santa Maria Hospital
- Student of the Harvard Medical School Portugal Clinical Scholar’s Research Training Program
- Medical Master’s Degree (2011, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Nova University, Lisbon, Portugal)
- Clinical Neurology
- Clinical Electroencephalography
- Epilepsy, Epilepsy Surgery
- Clinical Research in Neurology
Publications and Posters:
- Bentes C; Peralta R, Martins H, Casimiro C, Morgado C, Franco A, Viana P, Fonseca AC, Geraldes R, Canhão P, Melo TP, Paiva T, Ferro JM. Seizures, neurophysiological dysfunction and outcome of ischemic stroke patients. Epilepsia Open (epub ahead of print – 17 August 2017);
- Azuma Y, Töpf A, Evangelista T, Lorenzoni PJ, Roos A, Viana P, Inagaki H, Kurahashi H, Lochmüller H. Intragenic DOK7 deletion detected by whole-genome sequencing in congenital myasthenic syndromes. Neurol Genet. 2017 May 3;3(3).
- Martins IP, Viana P. “Cough Hemicrania” – An overlapping form of headache. Headache. 2017 May;57(5):796-800.
- Bentes C, Franco A, Peralta AR, Viana P, Martins H, Morgado C, Casimiro C, Fonseca AC, Geraldes R, Canhão P, Pinho e Melo T, Paiva T, Ferro JM. Epilepsia Partialis Continua after an anterior circulation ischaemic stroke. Eur J Neurol. 2017 Jul;24(7):929-934.
- Sousa DC, Viana P, Leal I, Parreira S, Ferreira J, Campos F. Ophtalmoparesis and unilateral distal upper limb weakness in seronegative Myasthenia Gravis. Can J Ophtal. 2017 Jun 29 [Epub ahead of print].
- Ferro JM, Viana P, Santos P. Management of Neurologic Manifestations in Patients with Liver Disease. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2016 Aug;18(8):37.
- Gama Marques J, Viana P, Peralta AR. A “Sleeping Beauty” With a “Heart-Hand”: Kleine-Levin Syndrome Treated With Buproprion and Carbamazepine in a Patient With Holt-Oram Syndrome. Clin EEG Neurosci. 2016 Apr 18 [Epub ahead of print].
- Martins IP, Viana P, Lobo PP. Familial SUNCT in a mother and son. Cephalalgia. 2016 Sep;36(10):993-7.
- Teodoro T, Viana P, Abreu D, Conceição I, Peralta R, Ferreira JJ. A peripheral pathway to restless legs syndrome? Clues from familial amyloid polyneuropathy. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2015 Dec;21(12):1465-8.
- Viana P, Rodrigues E, Fernandes C, Matas A, Barreto R, Mendonça M, Peralta R, Geraldes R. InMS: Chronic Insomnia Disorder in Multiple Sclerosis – a Portuguese multicentric study on prevalence, subtypes, associated factors and impact on quality of life. Mult Scler Rel Disord. 2015 Sep;4(5):477-83.